Skip to main content

2-08-2008



Our mother Audra passed on 2-08-08.

I arrived in Michigan late Friday.

Stopped by younger sister Martha's on the way to have her go with me, but she was still in her pj's and had just woken up..she said she would go on Saturday instead, as she had been with Mom the night before and she was stable then.

Mom had last rights earlier Friday (priest, minister?) before I got there.

Younger brother Bob was waiting at the door when I arrived at the rest home and said Mom had taken a turn for the worst.

I held Mom's face in my hands, stroked her hair, put cream on her one exposed arm. She was on her side and you could hear the water in her throat as she was unable to swallow. I thought how cruel it was that she was drowning in fluids, but they had tried to drain it and she bit down so hard that they were afraid she would break the plastic. They had put patches behind her ears to dry the fluids. The oxygen had been removed. She was only at 80% and should have been at 90%. After about a half hour of that, Mom seemed to go into a sleep and emitted a quiet groan on each exhale. A hospice nurse stepped in with a stethoscope saying she was only taking one breath every 30 sec.and that the end was very close. Then there were no breaths and Mom was gone. Mom's face still had not a wrinkle on it and her dark eyebrows framed her beautiful eyes.

I don't know what I expected, but I had heard from a family friend that there was a cloud of vapor that came out of someone they had been with at death. Maybe I thought I would see or sense something resembling the soul leaving.
My sister in law Pat was with me while my younger brother Bob went to get younger sister Martha...they arrived just before Mom's last breaths. Pat is a Catholic...she opened the window slightly for the soul to leave the room and she said a rosary at the end of the bed.

I talked to Mom telling her it was ok to let go as she was fighting it so hard. I told her that all of her kids would be ok and that Dad had missed her and wants to be with her again...that she would see her sister and others. I kissed her and told her we all loved her and what a wonderful servant of God she had been on this earth. I rocked her as she struggled to calm her and after she seemed to be asleep, the song Silent Night for some reason started to come out of my mouth through tears.

Older brother John has called from his home in the south and Martha is pretty much staying home and resting...she has chemo on Monday.

Younger brother Bob and I went to the funeral home to make the final arrangements. We took a light mint colored wool dress. The funeral director asked if we had undergarments and we laughed as it had not occurred to us that they would send her from the home naked...they had bathed her and sent her in simple nightgown .
Brother Bob and I went to Walmart and bought her underclothing of a white and lace camisole, half slip and panties. At the checkout some woman behind me said that it was such a lovely set...I would have shocked her if I told her where they were going.
The funeral is on Valentine's Day, at Girrbach funeral home, a half a block from our family home at 1 p.m. My younger brother Bob and his wife Pat are having an after funeral gathering of friends and family at his home afterward.

I haven't cried much since Mom passed, but I don't know if it has really hit me and am sure it will over and over through the years.
We have so many beautiful memories of a Mom who treated us all as only children. She will give me strength the rest of my life. She was the true definition of the word Mom.
I have thanked God over and over for the wonderful parents we were given.
Marilyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holding On...

Mom was dehydrated last weekend, sending her to ER. My sister called upset that she would not last. My younger brother suggested we should have a plan in place for her funeral. I agreed because I don't want to have to make decisions when the time comes, but am hoping against hope we don't have to give her up yet. Went to see her yesterday. Took our grandson Jake also. As I approached Mom to wheel her out of her room she looked up with her sweet eyes saying, "Marilyn" and my heart melted. Just being near her is comforting and it was sad seeing her struggling to answer anything we asked her as if she could not access information in her brain. Jake played cards with my sister and me and my younger brother, we call "the funny one", injected his humor. Still, the time seems fleeting when with her. Putting my all into this week as the school yearbook is due and one art show and then it is free sailing just about to the end of the school year. I so wish I lived clo

Pocket Call

Woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing..it was Bob's phone calling me from his pocket. He and buddy Denny run around together and could hear some of their conversation though they were not aware the phone had triggered. Spent yesterday out of state seeing my mother Audra. She's 86 and in a resthome. I used to be more of a Daddy's girl and have missed him every day in the 12 yrs. since he has been gone. But watching my mother go through the wrenching caregiving of her husband, financial loss, then the decline of her own health...and eventually her smoking and catching herself on fire, the strength she showed recovering from her skin-grafting...well, it was just plain horrible but she seldom complained. During the years of growing up Mom made all four of us feel as if we were only children. She would be up until 2 a.m. ironing mountains of clothing and sneak into our rooms at night to put them away as we slept. Her kitchen was spotless, with a hot meal on the table every

It's November...

I was opening a big trunk in our bedroom to unpack the Christmas items I have saved through the years for the holidays. There are two that I will never part with from Linda (who passed away suddenly May '09). You know how you open each tissue wrapped item and get that "Oh, I'd forgotten I had these"...well, that's what I was thinking as I opened these precious bundles... One was an angel Linda found...she repainted the blonde hair to black and gave it to Beth. The other she was bursting at the seams with excitement to give to me (and Bob), was a Christmas Tree Farm Scene... . They are both reminders of how much love Linda put into everything she did. It wasn't money, but downright thoughtfulness that set her apart from others. This is a very trying month for me as my sister Martha died a year ago next Monday, on my birthday. I have decided that for me to sit around or sleep due to depression is wasting the life Martha and Linda so desperately wanted to live. S