Skip to main content

Is It Tuesday Already?

In the summer months I live the life of a retired person, forgetting which day of the week it is. Now, during the school year, I am trying to destress evenings. Work harder during the day in the classroom and leave it (though I do carry the students in my head!) behind and come home to relax.
The grandson was here tonight as his parents were buying a car. I told him he could not stay the night as he wouldn't listen to me and I was tired of noise, but grandpa took him with he and buddy Denny running around so he got his way and I get the quiet of the house. Laundry to catch up. pay a couple of bills and then American Idol. I adore Taylor, the gray-haired 29 yr. old from Alabama as he is totally into his music. There are several this season that I think will record whether they win or not. He and Paris are two I am certain will, though Paris seems such a baby in comparison. I don't call to vote but do watch to the end.
Anyway, I smiled tonight when I realized I had to think what night it was as the old me ran so tight that I was constantly aware of fitting everything in day by day to get to the end of the week. I accomplish less but have learned to let some things take a back seat to be done whenever. That's not to say that I don't have ongoing lists in my head with the following...
House: Paint the boys bedroom/den for the 4th time with a taupe #4 paint from Lowe's.
Ready our tax papers.
Catch up bills...I am a huge procrastinator.
Take dog Mack for an overdue grooming.
Make plans for two new bathrooms...here and at the cottage.
Pack things for the cottage and sort our closet and bedroom.
Paint, wallpaper and refloor our tiny laundry room.
Clean our overdue for cleaning deck.
Revive my previously beautiful perennial garden by the stairs to the deck.
Work on the lawn. Clean the barn. Paint the outside and repair windows.
Self: Lose weight by constantly eating better and exercising.
Send out invitations for the weekend in July reunion slumber party at the cottage.
Work on getting old movies from family on dvd's and photos on cd's.
Read books and magazines saved on shelf for years.
Crochet a blanket or two.
School: Sort the room and make it more colorful and attractive for the students.
Ready some town displays of student work.
Line up a yearbook staff for next year and plan their welcome breakfast.
Post best work on the net for the students.
Order more supplies for next year and find some new projects for the kids.
Other: Make my religion more personally fulfilling...be a better servant to the Lord
on a daily basis.
Keep in touch with those I care for in email, notes, phone and invite over for dinner.
Celebrate my Scottish and English heritage.

And that is only what I remember storing up there in my noggin!
I tell myself there will be time if I just concentrate on the day for now. It seems to work if I just pull down a project at a time to deal with and not sit in the middle of all of them trying to make a dent.

Time for American Idol.
Have a great night.
Marilyn
Photo At Top is Not Me, but I often feel like she looks! (received her in email)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holding On...

Mom was dehydrated last weekend, sending her to ER. My sister called upset that she would not last. My younger brother suggested we should have a plan in place for her funeral. I agreed because I don't want to have to make decisions when the time comes, but am hoping against hope we don't have to give her up yet. Went to see her yesterday. Took our grandson Jake also. As I approached Mom to wheel her out of her room she looked up with her sweet eyes saying, "Marilyn" and my heart melted. Just being near her is comforting and it was sad seeing her struggling to answer anything we asked her as if she could not access information in her brain. Jake played cards with my sister and me and my younger brother, we call "the funny one", injected his humor. Still, the time seems fleeting when with her. Putting my all into this week as the school yearbook is due and one art show and then it is free sailing just about to the end of the school year. I so wish I lived clo

Pocket Call

Woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing..it was Bob's phone calling me from his pocket. He and buddy Denny run around together and could hear some of their conversation though they were not aware the phone had triggered. Spent yesterday out of state seeing my mother Audra. She's 86 and in a resthome. I used to be more of a Daddy's girl and have missed him every day in the 12 yrs. since he has been gone. But watching my mother go through the wrenching caregiving of her husband, financial loss, then the decline of her own health...and eventually her smoking and catching herself on fire, the strength she showed recovering from her skin-grafting...well, it was just plain horrible but she seldom complained. During the years of growing up Mom made all four of us feel as if we were only children. She would be up until 2 a.m. ironing mountains of clothing and sneak into our rooms at night to put them away as we slept. Her kitchen was spotless, with a hot meal on the table every

It's November...

I was opening a big trunk in our bedroom to unpack the Christmas items I have saved through the years for the holidays. There are two that I will never part with from Linda (who passed away suddenly May '09). You know how you open each tissue wrapped item and get that "Oh, I'd forgotten I had these"...well, that's what I was thinking as I opened these precious bundles... One was an angel Linda found...she repainted the blonde hair to black and gave it to Beth. The other she was bursting at the seams with excitement to give to me (and Bob), was a Christmas Tree Farm Scene... . They are both reminders of how much love Linda put into everything she did. It wasn't money, but downright thoughtfulness that set her apart from others. This is a very trying month for me as my sister Martha died a year ago next Monday, on my birthday. I have decided that for me to sit around or sleep due to depression is wasting the life Martha and Linda so desperately wanted to live. S