Skip to main content

Making Quiche & Other Procrastinations...


Woke at 8 a.m.

This weekend has to be all about working on our school yearbook. My students took all the photos...now it is for me to understand the online software to get it published by the end of this month.
I knew this interest in the house was taking time I should have been spending on the book and today found even more ways to procrastinate.
Bob was expecting a call from a buddy so would not let me tie up the phone line with the computer. I drove to town for gas at Sunoco and a 20 oz. cup of hot English Toffee latte. Nothing else seemed open in town so stopped at the local hardware. Spoke with Wes, son of the original owner. We traded opinions on the state of teaching, wearing clothing that is comfy but not stylish, and our kids. He's a smart and opinionated guy, but loosey-goosey fun-loving! He runs a summer hot air balloon launch and a mini Woodstock near town. We often say the town should be named after his family as most of the buildings, with the exception of the funeral directors' properties, belong to him.
Home again, I began sorting through the archeological digs I call our bedroom. It now has literally piles of things all over the floor. Airing out the mattress and have to put off working on it until later. Told Bob he gets the couch or den tonight again. He's still sick from the longest flu in history!
Friend Judy calls to ask me to go to lunch with her at a favorite cafe...darn, I want to go but would feel guilty. She still has her fake Christmas trees up, but without the ornaments. Wants to take them down, but not a priority yet. Something you do when the snow flies, I guess! Jude is so much fun. We seem to be having parallel experiences these days.
I decided I must clean the refrig. Filled one of the deep shelves on the door with soapy water, thinking myself quite clever for making a container out of it while I cleaned. Sorted the refrig. onto the cleaned shelves and then resorted the freezer. Found some ham and broccoli and a pie crust to bake so decided to try my first ever quiche. I eat quiche with my usual hot chai tea every morning during the work week from a local coffee house. I thought it must be easy. Began by dumping eggs into the unbaked pie crust, salt, pepper, shredded cheddar cheese, broccoli and shredded pieces of deli ham. Got out my 75th edition Better Homes & Gardens cookbook to see if I was missing anything. It cracked when I opened it as I never cook. Oops, the pie crust had to be half baked first, so dumped out ingredients and did that. It also mentioned adding half and half, but then you could use sour cream, so I added a fat free version. Green onions were also listed, but had none, so added onion flakes. Put foil around the edges of the crust so it would not burn and stuck it back in the oven. When I got it out the foil stuck to the crust and pulled it apart. I just tried it (Bob said I had better not give him any!) and it is edible but sour tasting and the broccoli is dominant. For a first try it could have been better, but was ok. Jude is a master of quiche. Will have to have her give me cooking lessons.
On to the yearbook. Can see the rest of the weekend being devoted to designing page after page. Wish me luck. I've not been on time with my due dates the last couple of years and am sure my company rep. has little faith in me this time either.
Enjoy your weekend wherever you are.
Marilyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Holding On...

Mom was dehydrated last weekend, sending her to ER. My sister called upset that she would not last. My younger brother suggested we should have a plan in place for her funeral. I agreed because I don't want to have to make decisions when the time comes, but am hoping against hope we don't have to give her up yet. Went to see her yesterday. Took our grandson Jake also. As I approached Mom to wheel her out of her room she looked up with her sweet eyes saying, "Marilyn" and my heart melted. Just being near her is comforting and it was sad seeing her struggling to answer anything we asked her as if she could not access information in her brain. Jake played cards with my sister and me and my younger brother, we call "the funny one", injected his humor. Still, the time seems fleeting when with her. Putting my all into this week as the school yearbook is due and one art show and then it is free sailing just about to the end of the school year. I so wish I lived clo

Pocket Call

Woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing..it was Bob's phone calling me from his pocket. He and buddy Denny run around together and could hear some of their conversation though they were not aware the phone had triggered. Spent yesterday out of state seeing my mother Audra. She's 86 and in a resthome. I used to be more of a Daddy's girl and have missed him every day in the 12 yrs. since he has been gone. But watching my mother go through the wrenching caregiving of her husband, financial loss, then the decline of her own health...and eventually her smoking and catching herself on fire, the strength she showed recovering from her skin-grafting...well, it was just plain horrible but she seldom complained. During the years of growing up Mom made all four of us feel as if we were only children. She would be up until 2 a.m. ironing mountains of clothing and sneak into our rooms at night to put them away as we slept. Her kitchen was spotless, with a hot meal on the table every

It's November...

I was opening a big trunk in our bedroom to unpack the Christmas items I have saved through the years for the holidays. There are two that I will never part with from Linda (who passed away suddenly May '09). You know how you open each tissue wrapped item and get that "Oh, I'd forgotten I had these"...well, that's what I was thinking as I opened these precious bundles... One was an angel Linda found...she repainted the blonde hair to black and gave it to Beth. The other she was bursting at the seams with excitement to give to me (and Bob), was a Christmas Tree Farm Scene... . They are both reminders of how much love Linda put into everything she did. It wasn't money, but downright thoughtfulness that set her apart from others. This is a very trying month for me as my sister Martha died a year ago next Monday, on my birthday. I have decided that for me to sit around or sleep due to depression is wasting the life Martha and Linda so desperately wanted to live. S