Skip to main content

My Best Friends Are Flakes!


Scrubbed Beth in the tub and we hopped into the Volvo and headed to Reenie and Mike's house.

We picked up fries and a coke for Beth then traveled mostly the Interstate before going the country roads. The sun was out and I felt like we could have done a Thelma and Louise all day as it was so gorgeous.

Turning north we went by a small lake and saw blood smeared all over the road...just ahead I stopped at a hunting store to buy Beth some chocolate milk and there were tire tracks with blood all over the pavement and guys in orange everywhere...it's like the manly thing, though I hate to see a delicate and gracefully moving deer shot for the sport of it.

Ellen arrived on time and ran over one of their cats...glad I am always late! Luckily, the cat seemed to be on it's last legs and there were more around to take it's place. It's hard to know when a cat's nine lives are up!

We sat at their kitchen counter looking over Ellen's photos (she's a WONDERFUL photographer) and munched on chocolate chip cookies. Reenie ordered a BLT pizza and sent Mike out to first pick up daughter Jamie and their grandson from the farm house across the street.

Mike returned afterward with the pizza...Mike has had brain aneurysm and is retired from being an FBI agent. After several surgeries, he has lost some ability to remember things (haven't we all?) so sometimes he can get confused...he made it back this time just fine!

Beth enjoyed herself just picking at her clothes, which is part of the "tick" from her medication. We sat together at the dining table that had been owned by Reenie's parents. Ellen and I drank Exotic Berry premixed drinks and we talked about everything from school to retirement to carpet cleaners and how we hold things together with duct tape...Reenie hauled out her parents' vacuum that is taped together with duct tape...she hopes the kids will replace it for her one day.

We went for a tour of the farmhouse...all three of us live in old farmhouses that we have made over the best we can...Ellen and Reenie have both added new family rooms, but we haven't since our extra money has gone to the cottage. Reenie's new room was a soft green and so soothing, until you saw a modern abstract above the couch which was done by a sister in law with a difficult emotional life as inspiration. Being brutally honest, I told her it was the one thing that did not fit, so am now planning on a replacement painting for them...more later when it is done.

The baby slept in their bedroom which is painted a strong purple...reminds me of the passion that Reenie and Mike still have for each other. We talked about Christmas and their decorations. Jamie went home to gather leaves. The baby woke and we left.

In January we will host Reenie & Mike and Ellen & Ron for dinner at our house. I'm excited. We usually meet with just the gals once every other month and then with the guys the inbetween months. Their friendship is very important to me, because they were my roommates when I was 20 and life was young. I seem more drawn to people from those years now. We lost site of each other, Ellen, Reenie and me, for about 30 yrs. , and I don't want that to happen again.

Merry Christmas Ellen and Reenie, Mike and Ron...see you all in the New Year!

* Both Reenie and I were given signs like the one above by Ellen...I hope she bought one for herself as well...perfect!

Comments

Frank said…
Dear Marilyn- we were younger at one time, weren't we? I am not sure that I would want to back to those times since we would have to deal with those "fools" in our lives again. I enjoy reading your ramblings. Have a blessed Christmas and a prosperouse New Year!

Popular posts from this blog

Holding On...

Mom was dehydrated last weekend, sending her to ER. My sister called upset that she would not last. My younger brother suggested we should have a plan in place for her funeral. I agreed because I don't want to have to make decisions when the time comes, but am hoping against hope we don't have to give her up yet. Went to see her yesterday. Took our grandson Jake also. As I approached Mom to wheel her out of her room she looked up with her sweet eyes saying, "Marilyn" and my heart melted. Just being near her is comforting and it was sad seeing her struggling to answer anything we asked her as if she could not access information in her brain. Jake played cards with my sister and me and my younger brother, we call "the funny one", injected his humor. Still, the time seems fleeting when with her. Putting my all into this week as the school yearbook is due and one art show and then it is free sailing just about to the end of the school year. I so wish I lived clo

Pocket Call

Woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing..it was Bob's phone calling me from his pocket. He and buddy Denny run around together and could hear some of their conversation though they were not aware the phone had triggered. Spent yesterday out of state seeing my mother Audra. She's 86 and in a resthome. I used to be more of a Daddy's girl and have missed him every day in the 12 yrs. since he has been gone. But watching my mother go through the wrenching caregiving of her husband, financial loss, then the decline of her own health...and eventually her smoking and catching herself on fire, the strength she showed recovering from her skin-grafting...well, it was just plain horrible but she seldom complained. During the years of growing up Mom made all four of us feel as if we were only children. She would be up until 2 a.m. ironing mountains of clothing and sneak into our rooms at night to put them away as we slept. Her kitchen was spotless, with a hot meal on the table every

It's November...

I was opening a big trunk in our bedroom to unpack the Christmas items I have saved through the years for the holidays. There are two that I will never part with from Linda (who passed away suddenly May '09). You know how you open each tissue wrapped item and get that "Oh, I'd forgotten I had these"...well, that's what I was thinking as I opened these precious bundles... One was an angel Linda found...she repainted the blonde hair to black and gave it to Beth. The other she was bursting at the seams with excitement to give to me (and Bob), was a Christmas Tree Farm Scene... . They are both reminders of how much love Linda put into everything she did. It wasn't money, but downright thoughtfulness that set her apart from others. This is a very trying month for me as my sister Martha died a year ago next Monday, on my birthday. I have decided that for me to sit around or sleep due to depression is wasting the life Martha and Linda so desperately wanted to live. S