Skip to main content

Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think!

My maternal grandmother used to play a song on her grand piano called, "Enjoy Yourself, It's Later Than You Think"....enjoy, yourself, while your still in the pink...the years go by, as quickly as a wink, enjoy yourself, enjoy yourself, it's later than you think. I remember sitting next to her on the piano bench and belting out the tune, as she accompanied me.
Retirement looms in the near future and I think of how I want to spend the time. You get to a point in life when you realize you have maybe 15 to 20 yrs. to go where you may have decent health and then it's the roll being called up yonder.
Bob, Beth and I were driving through a small town south of us where they happen to have a small "head" shop with a pool table that sells posters, shirts and God knows what else. I bought my Janis Joplin shirt there . Saw her perform in the Grande Ballroom in Detroit above a bar and she was stunning. I told Bob when I retire I want to dress in hippie dresses and just enjoy life. He said he wanted to dress like a pimp and drive a big pink caddie...he's been teaching in the city schools too long! We laughed at how disgusted our son and daughter in law would be at our appearance and lifestyle. -- Bob recalled picking up his parents at the airport when they returned from Europe when retired and how they both exited the plane wearing French tams and embarassed him...but hey, they were originals too.
My mother in law was in Mensa. I bought some books they sell in the teachers lounge the other day. One group was Mensa publications of puzzles, etc. that are supposed to work your mind. I also bought a book on anatomy with lotsa pictures. I never studied much in science classes growing up and want to brush up on the human body to know what's going on inside of me. Husband Bob says people rush off to doctors more than they need to...that most of it is just logic if you think about it. Aching back...what did you just lift. Headache...what did you just eat. Etc.

I don't want to waste these years and find that there are many things in life not worth the energy anymore. I never was into clubs, so those won't waste my time. Red hats...not for me. Bob likes his MG car club. I like being around sort of bohemian and artsy people but am also fascinated with the minds of people much smarter than I am...I like to hear things from their perspective, so may want to read more and just plain talk to people. I love nature so want to get out in it more. Stess has been too much of a weight through the years...I want to get rid of stressful things like bills, time constraints, excessive junk and personal habits.

Just wishing I had been in this frame of mind a little sooner. Life gives you insights when you can barely use them and you waste so many years running after empty dreams, or so it sometimes seems. People talk about their purpose in life. Maybe it was just to exist and complete the cycle of things, you know. God is there in everything.

As my friend Judy says...I don't like to be too deep...would rather think on the surface of things. Sometimes I feel that way and sometimes just the opposite. I find states of mind interesting. Like how do we shut out the world and lay "in state" when we sleep. How do we zone out while driving a car and just thinking about things so we are not totally in an aware state of mind. How is it that we are capable of altering the states of mind? Some of you are smart and may know that already? Tell me if you do.

Life is still one big change after another. I thought things would be simple when I got older, but evidently that was a false assumption on my part.
Well blah, blah, blah....time to hit the hay.

Night-Marilyn

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hey Sis.....I so remember singing this tune in grandma DD's car and for some reason with cousin Mary! That song has been a main theme in my life and you know my struggles! Thanks for sharing this memory....Love ya, Tha :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Pocket Call

Woke to the sound of my cell phone ringing..it was Bob's phone calling me from his pocket. He and buddy Denny run around together and could hear some of their conversation though they were not aware the phone had triggered. Spent yesterday out of state seeing my mother Audra. She's 86 and in a resthome. I used to be more of a Daddy's girl and have missed him every day in the 12 yrs. since he has been gone. But watching my mother go through the wrenching caregiving of her husband, financial loss, then the decline of her own health...and eventually her smoking and catching herself on fire, the strength she showed recovering from her skin-grafting...well, it was just plain horrible but she seldom complained. During the years of growing up Mom made all four of us feel as if we were only children. She would be up until 2 a.m. ironing mountains of clothing and sneak into our rooms at night to put them away as we slept. Her kitchen was spotless, with a hot meal on the table every

Holding On...

Mom was dehydrated last weekend, sending her to ER. My sister called upset that she would not last. My younger brother suggested we should have a plan in place for her funeral. I agreed because I don't want to have to make decisions when the time comes, but am hoping against hope we don't have to give her up yet. Went to see her yesterday. Took our grandson Jake also. As I approached Mom to wheel her out of her room she looked up with her sweet eyes saying, "Marilyn" and my heart melted. Just being near her is comforting and it was sad seeing her struggling to answer anything we asked her as if she could not access information in her brain. Jake played cards with my sister and me and my younger brother, we call "the funny one", injected his humor. Still, the time seems fleeting when with her. Putting my all into this week as the school yearbook is due and one art show and then it is free sailing just about to the end of the school year. I so wish I lived clo

It's November...

I was opening a big trunk in our bedroom to unpack the Christmas items I have saved through the years for the holidays. There are two that I will never part with from Linda (who passed away suddenly May '09). You know how you open each tissue wrapped item and get that "Oh, I'd forgotten I had these"...well, that's what I was thinking as I opened these precious bundles... One was an angel Linda found...she repainted the blonde hair to black and gave it to Beth. The other she was bursting at the seams with excitement to give to me (and Bob), was a Christmas Tree Farm Scene... . They are both reminders of how much love Linda put into everything she did. It wasn't money, but downright thoughtfulness that set her apart from others. This is a very trying month for me as my sister Martha died a year ago next Monday, on my birthday. I have decided that for me to sit around or sleep due to depression is wasting the life Martha and Linda so desperately wanted to live. S