Skip to main content

Birdie is a Class Act

I sometimes call my mother Birdie as she eats so little, or Audie, or just plain Mom.
My mother Audra is a survivor and then some. She and Dad raised all four of us as if we were only children...always there for anything important in our lives. Beth and I are driving up to see her today. Mom is 86 and lives in a care residence.
I will never equal my mother, can only aspire to be the best Mom I can be to my kids.
Mom was home with us when we were young and all her life kept an immaculate house, especially her domain, the kitchen. We had a hot meal on the table each night, clean IRONED clothes in our closets and fresh underclothing, clean sheets on our beds each week, no dust bunnies under our beds, etc. She would wake us every Saturday morning with the sound of the vacuum cleaner. The most I ever remember doing was to wash windows, dust or help with dishes.
Dad had a business reversal which one day I will explain, so Mom went back to work as office supervisor at our local hospital. She would come home on her lunch hour to start dinner and was up some nights until 2 cleaning that kitchen, ironing, etc. She worked at the hospital until she had paid for all four of us to finish college, something she and Dad had started but had never been able to complete.
After Dad died she was worn down to nothing. My sister Martha took her in. Mom's one vice throughout life was her smoking. She caught her nightgown on fire at the age of 85 and endured painful skin grafting that we never thought she would make it through. She is now the darling of the resthome as she is so up most of the time and appreciates anything done for her.
I LOVE YOU MOM, MORE THAN YOU WILL EVER KNOW (That last part is what she now says to us everytime we see her). I thank God for her and my Dad. Sometimes in life you just luck out!
Marilyn

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'm Back Again...Thanks, Holly

After a year off from this blog, I have decided to come back. Life was slow and I was in a fog since losing sister Martha on my birthday in 2008, but now I am starting to want to live again. Thanks to Holly on Decor 8 for inspiring me tonight to reopen this blog. http://www.decor8blog.com/ She has been a lifesaver to me at times when I felt disconnected from the beauty in this world. Will be posting from time to time again.... Hope you will check back in with me. Love, Marilyn

Retirement Looming

Now that teaching is drawing to a close...June is but a few months away...I find myself thinking of the words to the song, "Is that all there is, is that all there is, then lets keep dancing, bring on the beer, and have a ball...if that's all, there is." I think Peggie Lee sang it. ---- It's like closing off a part of myself that has been me for the last 30 years and entering a new life in retirement. Marilyn Above painting done by a California artist by the name of Hessam...saw his work at a beautiful gallery in Petoskey, Michigan.

It's Finally Done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The yearbook was submitted today!!!!! As yearbook editor I work with a staff of 20 junior high students who take almost all of the pictures for the book. It's 64 pgs., all color. They use a Sony Mavica camera with floppy disks, so the pictures are not as sharp as I would like, but it's easy for the kids to take and view on the computer right away. Shown are two facing pages from this year's book arriving late May. Am already plotting an easier way to do the book next year and things that could be different. Have the staff all year, first thing in the morning, so the kids are like family. Really enjoy doing the book with them... We have the books published by Walsworth Yearbooks . My rep Shelley is just the best ever...patient, helpful, professional, down to earth...just a terrific gal! I have a nasty habit of turning the book in late...procrastination is my strong card, so she has a lot to put up with, but takes it in stride. Thanks Shelley!